Taiwan ASLer
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

T-002 "The Puma Prowls" (John vs Robin)

Go down

T-002 "The Puma Prowls" (John vs Robin) Empty T-002 "The Puma Prowls" (John vs Robin)

Post by John Knowles 3/17/2018, 09:25

Robin and I embark on the 3rd stage of AFV training; AFVs fighting each other !!!  The scenario chosen was T-002 "The Puma Prowls". Robin played the Germans, whilst I played the Russians. German balance (upgrade the 9-1 armor leader to a 10-2) was in effect.

This scenario depicts a clash of recon platoons. 5 T-70 light tanks vs 4 PSW 234/2 'Puma' armored cars. The German needs to outscore the Russians in order to win the scenario. Both sides get 1 point for each enemy AFV eliminated/immobilized/abandoned and 2 points for each AFV exited from their specified exit points. I really like the way that the Victory Conditions actively reward the ASL player for evading combat and exiting vehicles, rather than just fighting it out (roles that the respective vehicles were not really designed for).

Each AFV has different strengths and weaknesses:

T-70

Strengths: Good armor protection (for a light tank). 45L MA (APTK#10, APCR 6). Good off-road mobility (14 fully tracked MPs).

Weaknesses: 1MT (necessitates being BU to fire, stun=recall).

PSW 234/2

Strengths: 50L MA (APTK#13, ROF 2, APCR 4). Good road mobility (33 AC MPs).

Weakness: Side armor protection (1 AF).

In short, each AFV can hold its own versus each other. At normal combat ranges (7-18 hexes), the T-70 has a final TK of 6 vs the front of the PSW 234/2, whilst the PSW234/2 has a final TK of 7 vs the T-70  The PSW 234/2 also gets the advantage of being able to fire CE, and the ROF 2 will often give the Germans extra shots. The Russians get the advantage of 1 extra AFV (5 vs 4). Both sides have a final TK#9 vs the side AF of their enemies (which increases to 10 vs the rear), so its important to keep your front AF facing the enemy !!!

In our game, a meeting engagement occurred around turn 2, across the board 22 stream, with each side losing 2 AFVs each (all but 1 to APCR hits). In turn 3, my Russians managed to eliminate another PSW 234/2, and I exit 1 AFV. The score is now 5 to 2 in my favor. Robin now needs to pacify both Russian AFVs and exit his remaining Puma. All I need to do is exit 1 more AFV, and the score will be beyond Robin's reach. In my turn 4, both of my T-70s move to the center of the map, forcing the Germans to now cover board 4. Robin engages 1 of my T-70s with his last PSW 234/2 at a range of 5 hexes, but (with the help of my finally revealed 10-2 armor leader), I hit his turret and get a low roll on my FTK6 DR, eliminating the final German AFV. Final score: Russians 6, Germans 2.

T-002 "The Puma Prowls" (John vs Robin) T-002-10

John.
John Knowles
John Knowles

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum